Sunday, September 11, 2011

Beer Time! Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Stupid camera. I can't find my charger for it again...so real posting has been delayed...again. I really wish I'd had it this past weekend, as Ross and I went to Dragon*Con in Atlanta! It was awesome, as always, and I met several great new people to annoy! :D I cosplayed as Etna from Disgaea again, Noel Vermillion from BlazBlue, and Female Main Character from Persona 3 Portable. No one knew who I was in FMC, so that was a bit of a bust, but then again, D*C isn't a video game-heavy con. It's a lot of fantasy/sci-fi TV, movies, and literature, but it's one of the best parties on the east coast. It's well worth the expense...and my oh my is it expensive sometimes. I'm still looking for any pics of me from the con, so if I'm spotted (or you think you spot me) please send me a link to the pic! I'd very much appreciate it :)

Now on to an actual post!



Tried the Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale at Barley's Tap Room in Greenville at lunch. Called "the king of pumpkin ale", it was a pretty good beer, though not nearly the taste I had expected. I thought "warm, slight nutmeg or cinnamon undertone, and thicker than usual ale mouthfeel", but got "crisp, spicy imperial ale". Not a complaint at all, mind you. I had a slice of pizza, and thought it would clash with it, but was actually a decent pizza beer. Would definitely have again if given the chance, and the price was right. 8% abv pint at $5.50 was worth it. The color was a pretty reddish caramel with a small amount of head, just a little lacing, but that's alright with me. It smelled stronger than it tasted, and after my initial couple of sips, I had just enough time to say as such to Ross before I noticed my face getting warm. I've literally never had that happen, and was really surprised. It's an interesting feeling.

Since looking around online for info on it, I've found quite a few reviews that pretty much agree with me, most putting this beer at around a 3-4 out of 5 rating. I'd say 3.5 or so, putting me in the middle of the opinions. I'd like to get it again soon, and on my next trip to Total Wine hope to pick some up.

I've also found several recipes that use it in beer bread and pumpkin pie. Color me intrigued. I've been making beer bread again lately (reviews again postponed due to lack of camera...le sigh) and one recipe in particular piqued my interest. It pulls in traditional pumpkin pie ingredients on top of the oh-so-basic format, and sounds fuckin' delicious. This MUST happen. The pumpkin pie I may or may not do, depending on my level of laziness. I hope to get my camera charged so I can remake the beer bread from this week and post pictures to show the awesomeness. It turned out delicious...despite some....very weird mistakes...and the resultant kitchen fire... >.>


But more on that later! :D


You'd smile, too. Don't lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment